We have had our in person cardio class for years now, and we are ready to take it online! Aerobic exercise is one of the foundations (along with the PWR! Moves) for a well rounded, research based exercise program for people with Parkinsons.
I have seen amazing benefits for PWP who implement a regular aerobic exercise plan.
1) If you have a piece of equipment at home (stationary bike, elliptical or treadmill) use it and join us!
2) Consider getting a piece of equipment for home. Although you might have a gym close by that you are used to using, it might be a little while before a public gym is a safe place due to Covid-19. Having a piece of equipment at home is very convenient, but it is important to actually use it! That’s what our classes are for :)
3) Use our class recordings when you do utilize equipment at a gym!
1) Build endurance so that you can do this type of exercise for 40+ minutes straight
2) Increase your speed safely
3) Add resistance (bike or elliptical) or incline (treadmill)
4) Do intervals and mix it up to keep things challenging and engaging!
A FEW CONSIDERATIONS, WHETHER YOU ARE ON A BIKE, TREADMILL OR ELLIPTICAL:
1) Please determine 2 speeds for you:
a) Base Speed - this is our “slower speed”. It should not actually be slow, but you should be able to do it for longer periods of time! (General goal is 60 RPMs on a bike and 3.0 mph on a treadmill, but if you aren't there, just do what you can and work your way up!)
b) The fastest speed you can do safely! (General goal is 80 RPMs on a bike and 4.0 mph on a treadmill, but if you aren't there, just do what you can and work your way up!)
2) Know your numbers, what is 60% and 80% HR max for you?
a) you need your age and resting heart rate, use this formula to calculate your HR targets: http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm
b) my numbers are 60%: 138 beats/minute and 80%: 160 beats/minute. Write these down so they are easy to see when exercising! (If you have a history of any cardiovascular diagnosis, you can contact your cardiologist to determine if there is any reason you need to avoid higher intensity exercise).
c) We have a form you can print to write down your numbers and keep them handy! Know your 60% + 80% HR max, and your 3 speeds for the intervals! https://www.roguept.com/cardio-class
3) Track your progress!!
Head to our website: https://www.roguept.com/cardio-class
Download and print the pdf to write down your workouts each day. How long did you go? How fast? What was your distance? What was your HR during the workout?
More info and resources on our Cardio Class page: https://www.roguept.com/cardio-class